Latest Tweets:

*1

Evaluation

For my NMP I really wanted to experiment and I love music so I decided to combine the two. I worked with Ryan Jones on this project. The project was supposed to be split into 5 smaller projects – this was to help prepare me for industry with smaller deadlines and also to give me more scope to experiment with different styles. This in the end did not end up happening as we fell behind schedule and had to drop the last project. While disappointing I was also glad as this meant more time working on the four projects left, to work on them to improve them. I still feel that although one of the projects was dropped I still achieved what I aimed to do which was to experiment and work to shorter deadlines. Another reason I wanted to work in this way is because I wanted to see improvement in my work from the first project to the last which definitely happened, so I am really pleased to see progress in such a short time. Originally I was supposed to project manage project 1 & 3 with Ryan Project managing project 2 & 4. This again was not how things ended up. From the beginning we worked well together and even managed to get project one completed early However after the first project we fell behind and things became a lot more confused as we where both working on different things. I created a sketchbook for project 1, as this was the project I was in charge of, I then passed on my designs to Ryan who created the assets for this project. He then passed them back to me and I created them into the final piece.  Before any of the designs where done we both experimented with different media such as paper and ink before we settled on creating the final in after effects following a chat with Saladhouse. Saladhouse had created a video that was similar to the style I wanted for our project – which was based on shadow puppets.

            Project 2 started quite well with Ryan running the project. He created the Sketchbook for this project. I came up with the idea of using cinemagraphs (images with a subtle movement created as gifs) – ideas are one of my strong points so a lot of the ideas where mine however Ryan really helped to develop them and make them into the ideas that became the finals.  So we set off to film for project two with some ideas for gifs we wanted to make. The lighting was dark so these became tests – Ryan created a final piece for this, which he laid out the gifs within a sketchbook/photo album. However because the gifs where quite dark we had to remake them. So we set out to remake them. I chose a new location (Rivington) and I used Ryan as a model directing him on where to go and what movements to make. I created these into gifs which where a little rough around the edges. We tested with a few different ways to create the actual final but settled on playing the gifs as they where made - along with the song. As the gifs where quite powerful themselves they no longer needed the background of the sketchbook/photo album. The cinemagraphs where passed onto Ryan to edit slightly for the finals and place together for the final project.

            For project 3 we worked quite well together again. This time it was based on retro video games. This was a really fun project to do I created the sketchbook and designs which I again passed onto Ryan to create the assets for. Ryan passed the assets on to me and I started the final piece, however towards the end I was busy finishing project four so passed project 3 onto Ryan who added his own character and the monster at the end. I feel this is the project where we worked together most successfully.

            Project four was originally being run by Ryan - who created the sketchbook for this project and also designed the type for the hand written type on the character. This project was a live shot film rather then animation. This was the project I enjoyed the most. I filmed the footage and set everything up edited the footage and created the final piece.

            Overall NMP has been very challenging, enjoyable in parts but quite stressful towards the end. I achieved everything I wanted to - I was able to experiment lots and create 4 final pieces, which I am proud of.

*1

Finished! the final for project 4. I now no longer want to listen to this song. I really like the effect of the old style film and the ink and how all the footage has been put together. I like the story and the focus on the one character in short I am really pleased with the outcome of this project.

*2

I wanted to give the project and old footage look so i overlaid this effect however it has made the overall thing lighter so i need to darken the footage a little.

*2

Adding a bit more of the ink effect i am trying to balance all the red with some blue tones so it doesnt get too red and to produce a contrast.

*1

some more overlaid ink on top i really like the effect and wanted to make full use of it.

*1

I really liked the use of the ink effect on a lot of the horror related research i did so i am putting to use the ink tests i did for project2 and using them in this project instead i think they fit much better within this project and i really like the overlay of the ink on the project as a whole.

*1

I got the footage to look how i wanted it and finished editing it but i wanted to edit it as a whole. i wanted it to look a little darker so i put a blue tint on the whole thing.

*1

Tidying up some more of the footage i think its looking much better. still needs a little more i think in the one the overlaid footage takes away from the church.

*1

I have tried to tidy up the footage with the trees i think it is looking much better. but there are still bits that need editing.

*1

I have tried overlaying the film a bit more but i think it still looks messy - i also overlayed film at the end and i really like this effect especially for the film to finish on.